Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Remembering Teaching

I was never content or happy teaching anywhere else.  Not everybody would agree with me, but I thought Wren was the perfect place to teach.  So I stayed there 23 years.  It was far enough away from home to prepare my mind for the transition I had to make between being a wife and mother and becoming a teacher; then when returning home, I had time for the opposite to take place. 
I loved the homemaking profession.  I really think that the disintegration of the family began about the same time that home economics was removed from the curriculum.  It wasn’t “just cooking and sewing”, as so many referred to it as being.  It was so much more.  It dealt with family, children and their development, management, finances, nutrition, parenting skills, home decorating, entertaining, and helping to maintain a pleasant home atmosphere.  Becoming a good homemaker is an admirable goal, and the homemaking teacher was the facilitator at one time.  It’s sad that today’s students don’t have the privilege of participating in such a program.
Wren was the ideal place for a home economics program.  I was supported by the administration and the community.  The students were respectful and for the most part, enjoyed learning.  There were camping trips and square dances and cook-outs; we had a student organization that encouraged leadership and participation in contests that enabled students to develop positive self esteem.  We had a group of adults who met monthly to learn and practice homemaking skills.  A child development program was established to teach developmental skill patterns for children and parenting skills for those who would become parents.  We had 15 children with whom the students worked; it’s hard to learn about children without children! Students with all levels of ability participated in the classes.  It was a good program and I loved teaching in it.
My Philosophy of Teaching
I believe that teaching is an honorable profession. I believe, that in the hands of educators, is cradled the future of America.
I believe that it is more honorable to teach students than it is to teach subject matter.
I believe that I should teach my students by methods that will enable them to retain as much knowledge as possible.
I believe that I should instill in my students the realization that the establishment and maintenance of a home is the most important profession in the world, because as the home goes, so does our nation.
I believe that it is my duty to help my students become aware of the fact that the family is still the most important institution in existence today.
I believe that it is only through education that we will be able to correct the ills of society that plague our nation and world.
               

1 comment: