Thursday, September 16, 2010

Rules for Bringing Up Children

In child development/parenting  class, my students kept urging me to give them some rules for bringing up children.  These are the ones I developed.  I tried to abide by them with my own children, but they will freely tell you that I certainly didn't always practice what I preached.

Being short or young does not make a child a lesser person.

Behave toward your child, and treat your child, with the same consideration and respect you would your best friend.

Never do for a child what he can do for himself.

All behavior has consequences.  If at all possible, allow a child to suffer (or enjoy) the natural consequences of his behavior.

Before you punish a child, be sure it isn't your fault!

I never hurts to tell a child how you feel - positively or negatively.

Loving and spoiling are not the same.  "Spoiling" is giving a child too many things, or doing for a child those things he can do for himself.  "Loving" is unconditional - warts and all- just like he is.

You can give a child too much, but you can't love him too much.

No comments:

Post a Comment